Wednesday, October 15, 2008

When the blog takes a backseat

My blog has taken a backseat to life lately. I've been reading blogs in my Google Reader, but barely have time to comment on them without someone screaming for my attention. And in all honesty, I don't have a whole lot to say (hush Auntie Nettie!) that doesn't involve my children and their craziness. Like right now~Drew is asleep but the twins are in their cribs yelling and running around. Seems a bit off, right? Exactly my point.

I love my blog and the friends I've made from it. I love reading other blogs. What I don't love is how much of a time warp blogging can be. I can easily ignore my children and their pleas for attention, the laundry that is piling up and the dishes that need to be put away for a little bit of time. But not every day and not all day long. I've been trying to avoid my computer a little bit more and giving my attention back to my family. Yes, I know, I blog FOR ME. I really do. I'm sure that my venting about my kids is boring to some, and that is fine with me. I blog so that I can get some things out of my head and onto "paper". Blogging helps me unwind a bit and relax. But I have to take a small step back and take a break. I'll still be blogging, just not every day. Maybe not even every other day, unless I've got something great to talk about. And maybe tomorrow I'll feel completely different than I do today.

11 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i totally understand. blogging does get to be a black hole of sorts and consumes WAY too much time. just don't disappear altogether k? i love hearing about the kids and what's going on etc. blah blah and i'd miss you : ) sniff sniff.

Astarte said...

I love hearing about your family. Take it slower, but don't go away, OK?

Robyn said...

I think EVERYONE feels like that about their blog. For instance, I'm commenting and reading (while sitting at my desk at work). SO not good for my job!!!! When I'm home, I have a no-blog policy b/c I end up ignoring my son.

How about limiting it to 30 minutes (or some other time frame) a day? Blogging shouldn't be a job (unless you're getting paid for it, of course!).

AndreAnna said...

It has to be like any other hobby. Something you do for you when you make the time.

It shouldn't take over your life or make you feel bad in any way and when it does, it is time to take a step back.

Auntie Nettie said...

Hello?! Did I say anything? Anything AT ALL?! Noooooooooooo! :P

Don't pick on the 'Nettie or you'll sleep on the floor. (Wait, you're already sleeping on the floor ... I need a new threat.)

I totally spent TOO much time blogging ... at work. Someone even called me .. at work .. to ask when I had time to do it. Verily good folk, that is what my lunch hour is for (that and watching tv programs). It's cheaper to stay in and eat leftovers and blog at the desk than go out and get lunch.

I have cut back on the Blogosphere -- especially on what new blogs I read, where and when I comment, and by turning off my own comments. It helped. (Also, not having a family helps --- but that's a whole other blog post.)

Don't be too much of a stranger or I'll have to send out an APBB (all-points bulletin bloggerstyle!)

Anonymous said...

I totally get where you're coming from. I had to enforce a limit on how long I spend reading blogs during the day. I read 4 or 5, comment and then do something domestic-ish and hang with my kid. After an hour, I'll read another handful of blogs and then go back to pretending to be domestic.

I'll be here when you post. I promise :)

Cass. Just Curious said...

Maybe it's the week. I was up this morning at 6am reading blogs and I just thought "what did I do before this???" and then I thought about what I did before you and everyone else that I've become friends with...balance is so elusive!

Tulip and Turnip said...

I haven't blogged since August! Things are CRAZY since I've been back to work full time! I'll email you soon to catch up...glad you are well!

Sammie-J said...

I so agree. The last couple of saturday mornings I've wasted away the day reading and writing blogs. Then before I realize it, my day is half gone. Addiction, that's what I call it, a gosh darn good addiction.

Courtney said...

Yup... that's the way I have to do it too. They are just so busy... and take up so much of my mental space! lol What a great life though!

Anonymous said...

I know...I always feel guilty when I spend time blogging and commenting, but when I scale back on commenting I feel even MORE guilty! And now that my child doesn't sleep for more than 9 minutes at a time, it's almost impossible for me to get a blog post out, let alone comment back. So, I feel ya.