Friday, June 11, 2010

Vacation Dreams

I want to go on a vacation. Alone. It's not that I don't love my children or husband, but given the opportunity to go away, alone, I would take it in a heartbeat. I'm sure I'd miss them, but as I've had a child attached to me every day for the last 5 1/2 years and everything I do is for or about my kids, I want a little alone time.

I want to rent a house by the ocean, a  little cottage. I want to pack my van full of my scrapbooking supplies, a couple of years' worth of photos, and make albums. I want to wake up when I feel like it, sip hot coffee by the pounding surf, and relax. I want to listen to my IPod and not hear the same Taylor Swift songs over and over and over (while all four of my kids sing along), take walks, eat seafood (I married a man who eats nothing from the sea and it KILLS me), take new photos. I want to take a nap without someone waking me up by crying. I want to sit at a table and put our family memories into the albums I've purchased. I want to read a stack of books and hang out in my jammies if I feel like it and take long, luxurious showers. I don't want to deal with mounds of laundry or boo boos or bills needing to be paid or tantrums, just for a little bit of time.  I want to relax, enjoy my surroundings and be me.

What about you? Would you take a vacation alone? What would you do?

7 comments:

Robyn said...

OMG - that sounds like heaven!

I know you want to be alone and all, but, can I come???

Twin Tornados said...

That sounds like a great vacation...can i come with you?

Thia said...

Sounds ideal. I'd love a vaca alone on the ocean. Only instead of scrapbook stuff, I'd have blank notebooks to write as much (or as little) as I wanted.

brooke b said...

A "momcation"! Would love that. I'll take a long momcation weekend. A long weekend with girlfriends. A long weekend in my house w/ everyone else gone. Man, am I greedy!

Twins Squared said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I think it sounds heavenly! I would totally do it. And you're right - moms never get a break. I've been "on" for 6 years now. And if you go somewhere with your huband, you are still on wife duty. Thanks for describing a great getaway. For 2 minutes I was somewhere else. :)

creative kerfuffle said...

sweet jeebus can i please, please please please come w/ you? i'll even make the coffee. i love seafood too. and could we have some chocolate? i'd read and maybe do a scrapbook too. walk on the beach. take pics. scrabble. do you like scrabble?

Auntie Nettie said...

MMM. I have the opposite situation. I am alone most of the time, so for vacation I go and visit people. ROADTRIPS! WEEEE.

I know of an apartment that will be vacant for a couple of weeks this summer if you need to flee to NYC to be Ms. Garbo. It's not the beach, but it's better than nothing.