Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Out with the old, in with the new

Here in Maine, we're ending 2008 in much of the same fashion as it began~snowy. I'm hoping 2009 doesn't dump as much of the fluffy white stuff on us as we got in 2008. Two record setting years in a row just aren't necessary thank you very much.

I'm not particularly good at articulating myself sometimes, which is hard to tell since I always have something to blog about. Still, I don't express all my thoughts in this blog, because some things just aren't blog fodder. There are some things I do want to say before 2008 comes to an end though, so here goes.

This blog is my lifeline to the adult world. It's not as sad as it sounds, but it's true. I am home with a preschooler and twin toddlers every day, and rarely speak to an adult other than Doug. So to have readers that leave comments and email me is something so wonderful. I have made friends through this blog, friends who send me messages when I haven't Twittered or written a post in awhile, or send me socks in the mail (thanks Robyn!!!!) to keep my tootsies warm. Knowing I have people I can count on when I'm looking for the duct tape, or when there are broken bones or cranky kids, is something that I am so thankful for. Here's to more road trips and emails in 2009!

This year brought me walking, talking whirling dervishes known as Annie and Izzie. When 2008 began, Izzie wasn't even walking. Now she runs, jumps, sings "we will, we will ROCK YOU" and climbs into her own high chair with ease. She loves her stuffed animals, playing with blocks and "huggies". Annie hasn't slowed down this year, not even with a broken arm. Her verbal abilities are really starting to show and she loves her Daddy so much. She's got a killer smile that can melt the crabbiest of hearts.

Meg and Drew grew this past year as well. Meg can read anything we put in front of her. It's scary. I'm not knocking it though because she reads to Drew and that is so incredible to watch. She's figured out that she really loves hockey and can't wait to play softball again. I see lots of travel in my future for her sporting events. Drew has come out of his shell this year and is more willing to play with new friends. He can write his own name, knows all his letters and is learning to play board games.

Doug and I celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in September, and our 17th year of being a couple. It's hard to remember a time in my life that we weren't together. It's not always easy, being parents of 4 kids who need us, but we do our best I think, and look forward to what is to come.

Despite how well 2008 turned out, I'm ready for it to end and 2009 to bring good things. Financial stability would be lovely (anyone want to buy a house in Maine?). I'm looking forward to the twins being able to express themselves more with words than with hands and screams, and for Drew to start playing hockey in 3 days. I'm looking forward to putting up my new calendar (Debbie Mumm, always and forever) tomorrow and seeing what the future holds.

Happy New Year.

6 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I am so in for roadtrips in a few months!!

Thia said...

I don't know why I haven't thought of doing a look back post. Usually I am all "full speed ahead." Can't wait until I have a bit of journal time now. Hopefully it will yeild some good things.

creative kerfuffle said...

hooray for a good year, although a crazy busy one for you. i'm glad to be part of your adult connection and love reading about what's going on with you. and i am SOOOO jealous of your snow. it was about 60 and windy here in nc today : (

Cass. Just Curious said...

cheers to 2008 and hooray for 2009!

Robyn said...

Great post!

Happy New Year, my friend!

Sammie-J said...

Happy New Year. It's been nice following your blog over the last year and I look forward to hearing more about your life for 2009.