Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cake Central

I am so darn glad the kids' birthdays are over. I've baked and decorated 5 cakes in the last 4 weeks (Drew had 2 parties, one with family and one with friends). This year I went a different route with the cakes~no cake pans allowed. So Google was my friend for inspiration and the kids got the following cakes to celebrate their birthdays:

Drew's theme was PIRATE of course. Thanks to Doug for decorating this!

The girls' party was PRINCESS themed (not Disney) so I created crowns for them


Meg's party was HEART themed. She helped decorate

So it was nothing extravagant this year. The cakes were relatively easy to make and decorate, I didn't spend a ton of money or lose my mind with a thousand different frosting colors to tint. The cakes are all the same~homemade marble cake that is so delicious (thank you Better Homes and Gardens cookbook). Now I just have 10 more months to come up with the next cake idea.

6 comments:

Jessa said...

My kids absolutely love it when they get a homemade cake for their birthday. The get to pick out the cake and frosting flavors and whether or not they want sprinkles.

You did a good job! I've never attempted shape cakes.

creative kerfuffle said...

great job on all the cakes! i especially love the crowns : ) so cute!

Jill said...

So cute! I love making cakes for birthdays! Not sure my kids appreciate it just yet, but Rocco had fun helping me decorate his last year. Love that pirate hat... if we ever do a pirate theme, I'll be after you for the instructions!

brooke b said...

impressive! i love homemade cakes!

Anonymous said...

Homemade cakes are not only easier on the wallet, but taste SO good! The time you put into it is something the kids will look back on with warm hearts.

:)

Robyn said...

You are such a good mom! I'm SOOO ordering Bear's b-day cake this year from a store. Unless my sister makes him another one...!