Tuesday, August 31, 2010

School Daze

Yesterday was the first day of school for Meg and Drew. We had a weekend of nervous tummies and cranky attitudes over the adjustment to the bus ride and meeting new people and doing new things, but yesterday morning was great. Doug stayed home with us so that he could walk down the road and put the kids on the bus too.  I was handling it all just fine until Doug asked Drew if he needed a "Kissing Hand", at which point I bawled like a baby and both kids gave me kisses on my hand to stay with me all day (if you haven't read "The Kissing Hand", do it but be warned it WILL make you cry) and I beat my husband and buried him in the woods. No, not true (the husband beating part).  Drew was quite confident, until he saw the bus coming down the road, but he got on with a smile and happily waved when the bus went back down the hill past our house.

The kids both had a great day, even though it was almost 90 degrees here yesterday and our schools don't have air conditioning. If I've learned anything from having a school aged kid for 4 years is that finding a way to let your child unwind after school is KEY to keeping your sanity. Unfortunately, I didn't FOLLOW that mantra yesterday and had a cranky son because I asked too many questions! So we'll try a different way today and see if that works!

I'm not sure how I grew such big kids though. Any ideas? In the meantime, I'm trying to adjust to having just two at home after 3 1/2 months of having them all here and finding ways to keep Annie and Izzie busy and out of trouble. I can't wait for them to head to school next week for the very first time!

5 comments:

Robyn said...

I love that picture! Meg is SO you.

I would've been crying too (and next year, I will!). I'm so glad it went well.

thepsychobabble said...

I know what you mean. I am both dreading and eagerly awaiting the first day of school!

Lisa'sLettersandLace said...

How wonderful to meet you! I found you through NE Bloggers. We have been weathering the heat and the first week of school here in ME. as well. I will definately start the kiss for each other to keep all day. My first grader is doing much better this year than last. And my third grader is ok now with the new routine of fall. So by next week you may have some time to yourself!!!! Beware of driving in your yard for the first time by yourself. That's when I lose it. Blessings, Lisa

brooke b said...

WOW! Big day! Love the picture. Love all the kisses. And yes, those boys get so irritated w/ "all those questions". :) Not sure when I'll learn to stop asking. :)

Life As I Know It said...

glad the first day went well. I get a little sad when school starts. after having them home all summer it's hard to send them back to school!