Thursday, April 22, 2010

It's all in your head

I have suffered from migraines since I was 15. If you've never had one, consider yourself a very lucky person. Migraines are horribly debilitating. My doctor, at the time, did an adjustment on my back and neck to see if I had a pinched nerve (no, and also OMG my back was out of whack). He also sent me for a CT scan of my sinuses, which showed a cyst in the left cavity, just below my eye. My left eye is where I feel the most intense pain from my migraines. For a few years, I took beta blockers to help deal with the issue, but after awhile, they became ineffective. I distinctly remember attempting to take a college final when I had a migraine. It was not pleasant. You don't "live" with migraines. You try to survive them.

(On a side note, I had one of these yesterday and it freaked me the hell out and I thought I was dying)

Meg has been complaining for several months about headaches. I took her to the eye doctor after a routine school check showed her right eye to be "off". She is nearsighted, like her Mama, and we got her the cutest glasses.

The glasses, however, did not help with the headaches. So, today at her well-child checkup, I spoke to our doctor (the SAME doctor I had when I was 15!) about the headaches. They don't appear to be migraines (thank goodness) but they may be stress related. Considering I live with a child who worries about whether it might rain five days from now, stress related makes sense. Then I got to see him do the same back adjustment to her that he did to me many years ago (22 if you're keeping track of my old age). It was so bizarre. It brought back that first time that that he made my back go snap-crackle-pop. I was also insanely jealous because he can no longer adjust my neck because of the herniated discs and the arthritis (boohiss).

I hope that she never has to experience the awful pain of a migraine. I would give anything to protect her from that.

8 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

she looks cute in the glasses : ) i have only had one migraine and i assume it was a migraine because i hated having my eyes open, felt like i was going to hurl, and just needed to lay down w/ quiet darkness. i'm not prone to headaches and haven't felt that way since, but i know people who "survive" migraines and it is not a pretty picture. i sure hope meg's is stress and not the migraines.

Tulip and Turnip said...

Those glasses look adorable on her! :)

Megan said...

Oh, I can't even imaging having migraines at that young of an age! Thank goodness they're not that bad. Love her glasses - she is such a cutie!

SeriousMom said...

I hate when kids get headaches! I don't think I ever even had a headache until I was at least a teenager. Poor thing, I hope it gets better.

Anonymous said...

She rocks those glasses! Love them!

I've never suffered from migraines. Thank God. I've suffered from horrible headaches due to pinched nerves in my neck/shoulders and that was enough to make me feel hideous.

I hope her headaches don't become migraines and I wish yours would suddenly just vanish :(

Pocklock said...

It's so great that they have cute little glasses made for small faces these days! I had to wear ginormous frames that hid my face and I hated it!

Headaches suck. The end.

Astarte said...

Those are some sweet glasses! She looks adorable, and so happy. :)

Migraines are terrible things. I get ocular ones, where I lose vision progressively. At first it was really scary, but now that I'm older I realize what's coming (the blindness comes before the pain) and take a bunch of tylenol and lay down immediately. Usually that saves me from the worst of it. If I didn't have that 'early warning system', I don't know what I'd do.

brooke b said...

she looks so great in those glasses!! how have the headaches been? better since the adjustment??