Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Give your kids a little extra squeeze today for Maddie Spohr

I've been reading a blog called The Spohrs are Multiplying for about a year now. I found it thru another blog and was just taken in by the story of Heather and Mike and their little girl Maddie. Maddie was born prematurely, wasn't expected to live, and proved them all wrong. She turned a year old last fall. I followed their battles with RSV, her hospitalizations, her triumphs. I loved the photos they posted as Maddie has the best smile.

Maddie had been in the hospital for the last two days with more breathing issues. I woke this morning to tweets on Twitter that she had passed away and I just burst into tears. I cannot imagine losing a child. My heart breaks for Heather and Mike and their families. I cannot fathom what they're going through.

So please, if you can do anything today, hugs your kids a little tighter. And then go here to Maddie's March of Dimes page and donate (or to my widget in the sidebar).

5 comments:

lilfootsmommy said...

Pocklock is going to do a walk and sent me an email to donate and I will. I am trying to get on the Spohr's website but I can't.

Mike said...

Very touching story.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com

Twitter: AboutParenting

creative kerfuffle said...

omg. how worlds collide. i was on my work twitter (yes, part of my job is twittering at work, for real) and i saw tweets about this but didn't know what it was. how devastating. i can't let my mind think about the death of one of my kids.

Canadian Kristin said...

Praying peace for the Maddie's family. I cannot even begin to image their hurt.

Astarte said...

Oh, no. Terrible.