Tuesday, February 19, 2008

School vacation week=sick children?!?!?!?

So, it's school vacation week here in Gray. And as it turns out, that means that my children have to get sick. During Christmas vacation, the twins had some sort of nasty viral thing accompanied by nasty ear infections that left them limp, whimpering babies with horribly runny noses. We held them all week long, fed them juice and fruit, and pumped more Tylenol/Motrin/Dimetapp/Amoxicillin into them than should be humane to do. I felt like a nurse~4 syringes per baby, 3 or 4 times a day. It was awful. And now we're doing it ALL OVER AGAIN! Ok, so this time their noses aren't running, but they've contracted whatever strain of the flu or ick is going around this time, and they're limp, whimpering babies with high fevers. And today, just to add to the joys of vacation, Meg and Drew appeared to be coming down with it too. Which leads me to ask this question......when do I get my vacation?

Ok, I know, I am a SAHM (stay-at-home-mom) of 4, so by very definition, I don't get vacations, say, for at least another 20 odd years or so, when they're all in college/married off/out of my house, whichever comes first. But geez, really, come on now. When do I get a chance to take some time off from the runny noses, high fevers, infighting from the older two? I am always telling Doug that he gets a vacation every day because he goes to work. There are some days when it feels like he practically skips out the door to the quiet sanctuary of his corner office (with window even!). I know it's not really like that for him and I know he'd love to be home with the kids, but because I am ranting and raving like a lunatic, I feel totally put-upon. And no, running errands by myself with my CD player or local radio station cranked REALLY REALLY LOUDLY is NOT A VACATION. I made the dumb mistake of signing up for emails from Sandals.....oh, beautiful, all-inclusive resorts, you have called to me. And I can't come to you now, or any time in the near future either. If I were smart, I would opt out of those darn emails, but for some reason, I enjoy the pain and pleasure of receiving them. A girl can dream, can't she?

So, since it's late and I have two, possibly four children sick with the flu bug, I should turn off the Celtics game (but Kevin is back and I love him!) and go to bed. Doug is off playing hockey (yes, at 10:30 at night. Isn't it ridiculous?) and I should get some rest before the babies wake up looking for more Tylenol. Yes, I know this is a very whiny post. Sometimes it feels good to vent.

5 comments:

James said...

Good luck! It sounds like you have your hands full this week.

GroovyDaddy said...

Hang in there, Krittin. We just went through a round of illness down here in Harrisburg. This, too, shall pass.

Auntie Nettie said...

HUGSSSSSSSSSS!!!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEE!


KISSSSSESESESES.

Not very helpful I know ... but you have a space on my floor anytime this summer, after the beginning of June. Leave 'em with Doug, I say.

Kristin.... said...

groovydaddy....whyfore can I not see your blog????

grampy said...

Grampy says he did not know daughter had a blog. Love it.