Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's raining, it's pouring.

It has been raining for over 24 hours. Or something close to that. I am not complaining though, because I don't think it rained once in April until yesterday. Luckily, the rain is not nearly as bad as the torrential downpours we received last year on Patriots Day. Roads flooded, homes flooded. We were lucky that we only had some minor damage to our road, which is gravel. Some of it washed away, but that is to be expected. There are still people trying to rebuild their homes that flooded due to overflowing rivers. April showers sometimes bring in FEMA.

I have this Mary Englebreit daily calendar. Last Thursday's saying was "A house is a home when it shelters the body and comforts the soul". Maybe if I cross stitch that and offer it to the first person to make an offer on my other home, something will happen? No you say? Because I can't cross stitch? Details, details. I keep updating my ad on Craigslist, but nothing is happening. I also put the house back up for rent and have had 4 emails about it today. I loathe the idea of renting again. We've put out there that there is a purchase option available, which is what our other tenants had. However, we heard through the grapevine that they moved out not because of a lost job but because the house needed too much work and they couldn't afford it. If I said "no shit Sherlock" would that be rude? Of course, we looked past all that work when we bought it, because we were buying the neighborhood. It is a great neighborhood. Tons of kids and safe places to walk. Our house is in front of what we called "the island"~a large grassy area where the kids played soccer or ran around. We had friends there. The house was 3 minutes from my parents and 10 minutes from my in-laws. And of course we had the token weird neighbor who INSISTED on going shirtless as soon as the snow melted. He did NOT have the body for that look. Weird, weird little man.

Anyway, enough obessing over our stupid mistakes.

Tomorrow I am going to chaperone the 1st and 2nd grade field trip to see Max and Ruby. I am looking forward to riding the bus with all those crazed kiddos and watching my daughter interact with her friends. Even though I volunteer in the classroom, the kids are usually doing work so I don't get to see the goings-on. It should be fun. Doug is going in to work, then coming home to hang out with the others until my return at lunchtime.

Send good thoughts to them as they sit with their sweet baby in California and wait for her to be well enough to come home. I get up each morning to read the latest news and hope that sweet Maddie will be well enough to go home. I think how lucky I am that my kiddos are healthy and don't have to go through all that she's been through in her short life.

5 comments:

AndreAnna said...

I remember that rain from last year! It ruined out finished basement. See, we really do have bad luck! lol

Cass. Just Curious said...

The sun is shining today - but I'm glad it was rainy Monday & Tuesday because my plants were very thirsty. On my walk this morning I saw the buds of lilac bushes....I'm loving spring!

creative kerfuffle said...

"april showers sometimes bring FEMA." ROFLMAO
ok, seriously, before i started reading your blog i'd had these pie in the sky secret dreams of how awesome new england would be. (course the hubs would NEVER go for it). however, now w/ the snow and the rain---uh, i'm seeing a different side of the region. so, you probably WON'T get a job w/ the state of maine's tourism board, but the blog cracks me up ; )

Heather said...

Thank you so much for all the good thoughts, Kristin! They mean so much to us!

Saly said...

We feel the same about our neighborhood---our house isn't the greatest but the neighborhood is. Plus we are only 2 minutes from the grocery store, and other necessities (read--COFFEE)